The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: Headship and Head Covering Reply To: Q&A: Headship and Head Covering

• Finny Kuruvilla

August 27, 2020 at 1:04 pm

Dear Casey,

I feel your heart in your message and resonate with you my brother!

1. On men, there is a symmetric principle that is described in the earlier verses of 1 Cor 11. The men are to keep their heads uncovered during prayer and prophecy as much as the women are to keep their heads covered. Thus, I advocate that the men should have their heads uncovered as much as women covered. For this reason, I would discourage hat-wearing by men, unless required for their job (surgeon, construction worker, etc.) or inclement weather. Far too often I observe men wearing hats for no particular reason which I don’t find terribly consistent with 1 Cor 11. May we not have a double standard!

2. See below response I made to Jeremy Martin. I would advocate unmarried ladies wearing the headcovering as described below. Being part of a community where this is done broadly is a great help in that direction.

3. To your 14 year old daughter, permit me make a couple of encouragements. First, if she ever feels ridicule from it, she should take comfort from one of my favorite verses on this subject, “If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you” (1 Peter 4:14). This is a way to bring down the Spirit of God upon her! Second, there are few things more beautiful to God and to godly brothers in the Lord than a woman who joyfully embraces this practice. Those of us who have wrestled through it find incredibly winsome. By making such a stand in such a world, she is lifting up the family structure. Finally, she is taking her place among the great women of history who have been known for their boldness in following God. I was just reading in Exodus last week about the boldness of Shiphrah, Puah, Moses’ mother, and Miriam who saved a nation with their courageous deeds in following God. May your daughter stand among such glorious company in the cloud of witnesses!