The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: Headship and Head Covering Reply To: Q&A: Headship and Head Covering

• Finny Kuruvilla

August 27, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Dear Coleen,

What a great and practical question! I believe that there are many valid answers here and much of this will be finding something that you are comfortable with and fits your communication style. That being said, my wife and I have chosen to say something like, “We practice the headcovering because we are Christians and the Bible commands it in 1 Corinthians 11. Are you familiar with that passage?” Sometimes those short answers are best. For those people who are curious, that will be enough to spark a great conversation! We’ve had many over the years.

Keeping it high-level and general is best I believe, because many people will be wanting to put you into a box of a particular “tradition” which frees them up to not consider the practice for themselves. Saying, “it’s what Christians do and it’s what the Bible teaches” is far better than some answers I’ve heard such as “I was raised Mennonite” or “It’s what my church teaches” because it better encourages others to consider the claims of the NT for their own lives.

May God give us all boldness and wisdom.