The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today. Reply To: Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today.

• Dagmar van Dusschoten

July 30, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Dear David,

thank you for your response. I would never have come to the conclusion that when speaking of the love of God it could mean our love for Him. But indeed, reading Rom 8:35-39 in that way makes sense based on the internal logic of the statements and because we know that we can loose the love that God has for us.

I guess it is our eagerness to believe it the other way around that makes the somewhat strange logic acceptable, but also, I would not have the courage to phrase my love for God in such bold a statement. Maybe Calvin had a problem there too, as do many other people?

It’s quite a big chunk to swallow, even though it makes so much sense, but it sheds such a different meaning on this much loved passage that I need some time to get used to the idea.