The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today. Reply To: Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today.

• David Bercot

July 30, 2020 at 2:13 pm

So many Christians want to argue with JWs about John 1:1, when a JW calls at their door. I can’t tell you how many arguments I got into with people about John 1:1 when I was a JW. They were all completely fruitless. No JW is going to believe that the New World Translation is incorrect in the way it has rendered John 1:1.

There is very little a Christian can say to a JW at the door that will change him from his belief system. Showing kindness and love will help them to see that conventional Christians are not the evil people they have been taught to believe.

Their Achilles heel is their many false prophecies. If a person Googles “Jehovah’s Witnesses false prophecies” he will find a ton of websites and YouTube channels that set forth their many false prophecies. It is unlikely that a JW will let you go very far in a discussion of their false prophecies. But if you get them to talk about it, you may be able to plant seeds that will eventually come to fruition. The big thing that caused me to leave them was when I asked myself, “Why would Jesus tell us to beware of false prophets, but then use a false prophet (Charles Russell) as His instrument to restore his people to the truth?”

Bythe way, in case you are wondering, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not take offense at the term JW. That is what we commonly called ourselves when I was a JW. In fact, after leaving them, I was very surprised to find that other people used the term JW. I thought it was a term that only we Jehovah’s Witnesses used.