The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today. Reply To: Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today.

• Dagmar van Dusschoten

July 26, 2020 at 10:19 am

Concerning Romans 8:35-39 I noted some years ago that all factors mentioned are external to us. So the one element missing in the list that cannot separate us from the love of God is me and my behaviour. If I am disobedient, I am not in God’s love (John 14&15) so for both to be true me and my behaviour can separate me from the love of God.

Concerning 1Cor 6:12 It would be strange to interpret this verse as allowing me to do everything as Paul just noted in 1 Cor 6:10 that many behaviours will prevent me to come into heaven. So I see two possibilities for interpretation. One verse later Paul mentions food so I think verse 12 also refers to food. All foods are allowed to us, but not stuff that is addictive.

Another potential explanation is that everything is allowed, but that doesn’t mean that if I keep doing these things I’ll enter the Kingdom of heaven. But would murder be allowed to Paul? That would be really contradictionary so I prefer to see this statement in relation to food.

Concerning 2 Pe 1:10 In view of the preceding section it seems clear what we have to work on. If we don’t have certain qualities as listed we are nearsighted and blind and have forgotten that we were cleansed. So working on these qualities like faith and love willingly is promoted by Peter, be eager to stay on the vine, which will help you in adding to your faith……

That’s my take on things, in a concise way.

What time is this Q&A, as I live in the Netherlands and my have to stay up quite late to participate.