The Historic Faith Forum

Discussion between community members is vital for a holistic learning experience.
Find answers, ask questions, and connect with your community around the world.

Home Forums General Forums Engage The Faith Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today. Reply To: Q&A: The Five Verses Almost Universally Misunderstood by Christians Today.

• Charles Hood

July 24, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Hello dear brother Timothy. I would like to ask dear brother David Bercot several questions about the verses he listed, one regarding 2 Peter 1:10 and serveral related questions regarding Hebrews 4:12:

1) Have you ever encountered an early Christian writer who interpreted 2 Peter 1:10 to mean that a Christian can reach a point of maturity during their earthly life where he/she can know for certain that if they died at that moment, they would definitely enter into eternal life with our Lord because they had labored to “make their call and election sure”? That certainly sounds presumptuous to me, but not knowing anything about the underlying Greek, I can see where English translations of this verse could possibly lead to that conclusion, hence my curiosity on this point. I would think that the possibility that we could stumble and backslide will always exist in this earthly life, but the words “if you do these things you will never stumble” perhaps suggest otherwise? Any insights you can share on this point would be greatly appreciated.

2) Any insight you can share regarding your own or early Christian insights regarding Hebrews 4:12 would be very welcome. The phrase “piercing even to the division of soul and spirit” has always puzzled me. I have listened to your message regarding what the early Christians believed about the spirit and the soul, and I have heard sermons and read books that speak about the tripartite nature of human beings, but I still wonder about the words “division of soul and spirit”. What does it look like for the soul and spirit to be divided apart by the word of God? Is our human spirit somehow “trapped” within our soul (like the marrow is “trapped” deep within our bones) and needs to be liberated in some way? What would be the practical results of such an inner working where our human spirit and soul are divided by the word of God? Related to question #1, can we reach a point in this earthly life where our human spirit is fully “divided” and “freed” from the influence/limitations of our soul? One final question: Does “word of God” in this verse refer to the written Scriptures or to Jesus Christ as the Logos, the word of God? The writer of Hebrews quotes a lot of Old Testament Scriptures (to say the least!), so I have always leaned towards understanding “word of God” in this verse to mean the written Scriptures, but I could be mistaken. Again, any insights you can share to help answer my multitude of questions regarding Hebrews 4:12 would be very welcome and very much appreciated.